Total Time: 50 Minutes
Prep: 15 Minutes
Cook: 35 Minutes
Yield: 6 Servings
- 1 whole turkey (12lb)
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh sage leaves
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 8 bacon strips, diced
- 1-1/2 cups chopped celery
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 7 ounces unseasoned stuffing cubes
- 1-3/4 cups chicken broth
- 1-1/2 teaspoons rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup Cherry De-Lite dried cherries
- 1 turkey (12 to 14 pounds)
- Melted butter
- 1/2 cup Cherry De-Lite cherry preserves
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- Heat oven to 325°. Remove and discard neck and giblets from turkey. Rinse turkey inside and out with cold water; pat dry with paper towels. In a small bowl mix sage, salt and pepper; rub into turkey skin.
*** Make stuffing (recipe below)
- Turn turkey breast side down and fill neck cavity lightly with 1 cup of the stuffing (do not pack stuffing because it will expand while cooking). Fasten neck skin of turkey to back with skewer.
- Turn turkey breast side up, fold wings across back of turkey so tips are touching. Fill body cavity lightly with 3 cups of stuffing. Place remaining stuffing in baking dish. Cover with foil; refrigerate until ready to bake. Tuck legs under band of skin at tail or tie together with heavy string.
- Place turkey on rack in shallow roasting pan, place turkey breast side up. Insert ovenproof meat thermometer so tip is in thickest part of inside thigh and does not touch bone.
- Cover turkey loosely with foil or roaster cover; roast 3 hours.
*** Make glaze (recipe below)
- Uncover turkey and place foil-covered baking dish with stuffing in oven. Roast 45 minutes to 1 hour 30min longer, brushing with turkey with glaze frequently until thermometer reads 165° and drumsticks move easily when lifted or twisted.
- Place turkey on warm platter; cover with foil to keep warm. Let stand for about 15 minutes for easiest carving. Cover and refrigerate any remaining turkey and stuffing separately.
- In a skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon to paper towels; drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings. Saute celery and onion in the drippings until tender.
- In a large bowl, combine the stuffing cubes, broth, sage, thyme, pepper and salt. Stir in the bacon, celery mixture and Cherry De-Lite dried tart cherries.
- In a skillet combine Cherry De-Lite Cherry Preserves and chicken broth. Heat until slow simmer.
- Stir continually until half the chicken broth is evaporated and the mixture is well blended.